Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Domains of JHU

Don't ask me how I got into looking this stuff up, what matters is that I did look it up... :-D Apparently Johns Hopkins owns somewhere between 200 and 450 domain names. I am not sure how reliable the statistics are, but here are the links to what I saw:

low estimate
high estimate

Yes, I took the liberty of rounding the numbers, both up and down. I started wondering how many domain names other universities own. Here's my biased sample (data taken from the same site):

harvard.edu 242-391
yale.edu 186-405
princeton.edu 50-247
umd.edu 86-479
ucsd.edu 48
uci.edu 19-53
umbc.edu 4-8
ucr.edu 4-7

And just for reference, microsoft.com has 24,609-29,017 domains associated with it. So while we at JHU are "small fish" compared to M$, it's still somewhat surprising to me that universities, especially some who consider themselves "Ivy League," are domain hogs. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment